The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Saturday, May 16, 2015

How to Organize Your Closet

Today’s guest blogger is fellow Her Campus Blogger Network member, Ak Brown! This is the first post in a series of posts she’ll be doing on The Kenyan Nomad. I hope you enjoy them as much as I have!



Ak’s bio: Fashionable with a hint of unconventional rawness, that's what I used to describe myself and my blog Mind of a Fashionista. Started in 2013, I have transformed this blog along with my best friend into a diverse source of fashion, style, and beauty news, trends, tips, and tricks while also conveying opinions that normally don't go with the "norm" opinion.




It's morning, 6:58 to be exact.  It's time for you to get up, get ready, and get going.  After showering, brushing and flossing your teeth you head over to your closet and say to yourself "What in the f***".  Shirts are hanging off of their hangers, pants look like they got up for a late night drink and passed out on the floor, and long story short, your closet looks like an abomination.  But you're not alone.  In fact my closet use to look the exact same way, if not worse because I never took the time to put my clothes in the correct place.  For some reason my way of thinking is to dig and find outfits out of piles of clothing (makes no sense) and by thinking that way, it has caught up to me.  For those of you who need a crash course on how to tame that closet so that picking the perfect outfit isn't a nightmare, check out these tips I came up with:

Ditch what you don't wear
I have a rule that if you have something you haven't worn in at least 2 months, not given the season changes, then most likely you won't wear it again.  Either find a way to get some extra coins and sell it, or be charitable and give it to the Goodwill, Salvation Army, or any other local thrift store or charity.  No use in having a shirt or pair of pants still in your closet you won't wear when someone else can get more use out of it.

Shirts
After doing a mini "spring cleaning" of your closet, it's time to get things in order.  First, when organizing your shirts sort them out by color. The color categories are white, pastels, brights, dark, and blacks. Next you will organize by sleeve length. No sleeve goes first, then cap sleeve, short sleeve, 3/4 quarter length sleeve, long sleeve, cardigan/sweaters, and last blazers/jackets. After organizing you will find that your closet will look like a uniformed color spectrum roller coaster, each color going from no sleeve to long sleeve.

Bottoms
Whether you hang your bottoms in the closet or fold them on the shelf above, organizing your pants, denim , and other bottoms is just as important.  Just like with shirts, you will organize your bottom by leg length and style, meaning skirts first (short to long), capris, and then long pants (skinny, boot cut, flare).  Next is the color.  You will arrange your bottoms by white, colors, dark, white denim, colored denim light denim, medium wash denim, dark denim, and black denim.  Lastly if you hang your bottoms up, I prefer to put them before my tops.

Shoes
This is definitely optional because a lot of people, including myself, tend to not have their shoes in the closet, rather in separate locations in the house.  But if you do keep your shoes in the closet, I simply organize them by sandals, tennis, wedge, kitten heel, then pump, and put my shoes I wear the most in the forefront for easy access.
These tips sounds a little insane, maybe narkish, but from experience it shaves time off in the morning when you're tying to get ready, which equals less stress for you.  Do you have another way to organize your closet?  Let us know in the comments below!


Instagram: www.instagram.com/mindofafashionista

Ak Brown: Creator and Head Fashion Blogger
Mind of a Fashionista


No comments:

Popular Posts