The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Thursday, September 18, 2014

Joie De Vivre

(Starting today, I'll be featuring a guest blogger every month or so. Aniqah is one of my best friends, and I've known her for about 12 years now, and she's always been a source of support and inspiration. She's also a great writer, and I felt that it wouldn't be fair if I kept her work to myself, which is why I asked her to guest blog for me. I hope all of you enjoy getting to know this beautiful person as much as I did! Want to see more of her work? Check it out at Living the London Dream. She also has a new website coming out soon, www.aniqahkhalid.com)



I have habit of sometimes going very deep or simply going onto a tangent from the main subject I would be addressing. My mind is easily tempted by other thoughts and effortlessly lets my writing become an array of different ideas and thoughts totally scattered and sometimes unrelated. As this is my first post on darling Roshni’s blog, I thought I’d ease you, the reader, into my habit of writing, and before you know it, you will begin to understand my trail of thought and follow what it is I am trying to verbalize.

As an introductory article, I thought I would focus on something very important to me. Joie De Vivre. Enjoyment of life. Something so simple but so extraordinarily underrated. When one ventures into the subject of ‘What is life?’, many answers such as self-fulfillment and a person’s specific purpose and journey surface. As right as they are, 
the question of how much you enjoy your life prevails…

Joie De Vivre does not necessarily mean owning the largest house and driving the most outrageous car or having the most exciting life. Yes, these things most surely do provide utility, however, the simplest things in life sometimes can go the longest way.

A steaming cup of tea, an understanding hug, a sleeping puppy, a light joke with a loved one, the smell of baking, the feel of the sun on your skin and so much more. These are examples of part of your everyday and many of us ignore them or place them in the category of ‘ordinary’. We wait for an occasion or an adventure to happen. We forget the impact all these little moments have on our life, we forget the magic they hold. Why not make everyday an occasion for celebration, or your own little adventure?

Perspective. You can see the glass half full or half empty, or not see the glass at all. Life is short in comparison to what you can pack into it. You have the choice to pack in an excessive amount of rain or sunshine. Savour each moment, emotion and person in your life. Make every moment last and add it to the scrapbook of your mind. Even alone time is so blissful and gratifying. That, my friend, is how one achieves Joie De Vivre.

No comments:

Popular Posts