The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Tuesday, September 2, 2014

Books, Books, Books

Recently, I was 'nominated' on Facebook to share a few books that were worth a read. While I didn't explain much about them there, I thought that this might be an appropriate forum to share just why I think these books should be read by many. 

1. "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy by J.R.R. Tolkien.Many people have watched, re-watched, and completely fallen in love with the movies. However, if you have the time (or even if you don't really), you must sit down and read this series at least once in your lifetime. I read it many years ago when I was still a young teenager, and was struck by how vivid Tolkien made his characters appear. I think I devoured all three books within a week. Now that I'm in my twenties, I plan to return to this series with a (somewhat) more mature perspective. These books are full of incredible detail, great heroes and a great take on the classic good vs. evil storyline. 




2. "Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking" by Susan Cain

I've talked about this book before, and I'll say it again. You do NOT have to be an introvert to read and appreciate this. I consider myself quite extroverted, but this book was a great eye opener, and helped me get in touch with the introvert in me too. Read it, and I promise that 99% of you will identify with it in some form or another. Cain has a great writing style, and despite this being a work of non-fiction, still manages to draw in her readers and hold them captive till the last page. 



3. "The Prophet" by Khalil Gibran

This book is confusing and wonderful and wise and confusing. I feel that everytime I read it, it says something different to me. This is a book that doesn't need to be read all at once. Gibran discusses a variety of topics in this book, ranging from life and death to reason and passion to clothes and houses. Never read any philosophical works before? Read this. Read everything philosophical that there is on the planet? You should still read this. 

4. The "Little Women" series by Louisa May Alcott

When I was younger, I fell in love with Alcott's characters. I've read this series a couple thousand times, especially the first book. Despite the fact that the book was written over a hundred years ago, we can still relate to it today. Even for those who aren't fans of classics will enjoy this one. Alcott creates lots of strong characters in this book, both male and female, and conveys a wide range of human emotions beautifully. 

5. "Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything" by Stephen J. Dubner and Steven D. Levitt. 

Admittedly, I'm rather partial to the field of Economics, and have been for about seven years, However, I've heard many people speak fondly of this book, be they expert Economists or people who first heard about the field because of this book. Levitt is able to show us how Economics need not always be traditional, and can be used to explain a variety of things, such as drug dealing and effects of abortion on crime. 

6. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen 

Another one of my favourite classics. When I was younger, this was a much slower read than Alcott's books. Growing up though, it was easier to understand Austen's writing and her characters. I know it may seem like a sort of cliche read, but this is one of those books that everyone should at least attempt once in their lives. 

7. "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown

While this book was controversial, it was also brilliantly thought out and written. Dan Brown is an absolute genius as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't publish books every few months, but the ones that he does churn out are remarkably good reads. The Da Vinci Code is extremely fast paced, a page-turner if there ever was one. 



8. The "Bridgerton" series by Julia Quinn 

Yes, these fall into the genre classified as 'historical fiction.' Yes, they're romantic, but don't write them off just yet. Quinn creates extremely realistic characters who're easy to fall in love with, and one of my favourite things about her writing is the way she portrays dialogue between them. Hilarious and amusing, I found myself laughing out loud quite often. The love stories in these books are realistic, and the relationships between the Bridgerton siblings are heart warming and will stay with you long after you've read about them. 

9. "The Monk Who Sold His Ferrari" by Robin Sharma

I certainly don't need to praise Robin Sharma's work; his name carries a certain reputation that speaks for him. I read this book years ago, and intend to return to it sometime within the next year. It's a book that speaks about life and personality development without necessarily preaching. Need a good read? Pick this one up!

10. "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki

If there's a book that I think everyone should read when they are in their twenties about money, it is this one. Kiyosaki talks about how to make money work for us instead of the other way around, and this is a message that has stayed with me for years; hopefully it can impact others too!

11. "The Blue Sweater: 
Bridging the Gap Between Rich and Poor in an Interconnected World'" by Jacqueline Novogratz
This book is a true story about social entrepreneurship, East Africa and the change that individuals are capable of. I picked this book to read for an Economic Development class that I took two years ago, but I think it appeals to a much wider audience than just those interested in the field. An added bonus? There has been follow up work done in Kenya from her book!

12 "One Lavender Ribbon" by Heather Burch

I read this book very recently, and had never read anything by Burch before. This is a simple yet powerful love story, and I think it reminds us to celebrate the love that we have around us everyday. 

Got any interesting reads that you'd like to recommend? Please feel free to let me know!

No comments:

Popular Posts