The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Letters

I miss them! I really do. Back in the day (....I hate that I'm old enough to say this), I used to send and receive lots. Recently, I decided that enough was enough with the complaining about how much I missed letters, and I decided to start sending them. And sure enough, replies came! Slowly, but surely. Some were short, some took a month or two, but the replies came nonetheless.

Why such an emphasis on good old handwritten letters? First of all, I'm someone who thinks and can express herself much better with pen and paper, as opposed to while using a keyboard. That's not to say that I think there's anything wrong with typing! I send plenty of emails too, and keep in touch with most people via Whatsapp, Gmail, or Facebook. However, I've realised that at times I'm guilty of not putting as much into these online communications as I would a real letter.

Also, those of you who 'do letters' can attest to the fact that it's not just receiving letters which is thrilling, but writing them too! Just yesterday, when I came home from work, I was in a great mood and thought I should channel that toward some letters to friends and family across the globe. Before I knew it, it was an hour and a half later, and I had written five!

Try it out if you never have; I'm not trying to inspire a trend here, but rather share the joy that letter-writing has brought me. They needn't be long or emotional or extremely fancy!

No comments:

Popular Posts