The Kenyan Nomad

The Kenyan Nomad

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Why are You Smiling?

It's kind of an odd question. I mean really. If someone were to walk up to you and ask why you're smiling, you'd be kind of confused.

But think about the question, and you'll realise it's actually a very important one to ask.

The first time I heard this question was from someone who graduated from Sewanee this May. He was talking to a group of prospective students, and was asking them this question very much so in a Sewanee context. He urged them to evaluate the different reasons that people at Sewanee smile, and by thus doing, to realise that Sewanee is very much a place that makes people smile.

While I would love to go off into a rant of how wonderful Sewanee is, (which I can do anytime. I mean seriously, I love Sewanee. And I'd be more than happy to explain why. Anytime) I think that's better saved for another day. Let's take this question out of the Sewanee context shall we?

Why are you smiling? What it is that's making you happy right now? Can we remember our smiles; share them with others? Make them smile too?

Yes, it's a simple facial action, but a smile is so much more than just that, and we should NEVER make the mistake of underestimating it's power.

Why am I smiling right now? Well, it's a beautiful day, and I'm excited about what I'll be doing today. I'm looking forward to visiting a high school (Rosslyn) tomorrow to talk about Sewanee, and I'm pretty happy with my playlist right now.
Well then; why are you smiling?

No comments:

Popular Posts